Friday, May 9, 2014

Travel to Europe: Jet Lag

I suspect the glory days of travel from the US to Europe were back in the days of ocean liners. Because the trip took days, it gave the human body time to adjust to the change in time zones. 

Today we strap our bodies into cramped seats for 6-8 hours of flight time.  Flights usually leave the US in the evening.  About an hour into the flight dinner will be served.  Then the lights are turned off, and passengers begin the challenge of trying to sleep.  About 1.5 hours before landing the lights come on, and the flight attendants serve breakfast. Then you land jet-lagged, excited and foggy. 

Or at least that has been my experience and the experience of others with who I have traveled.  As evidence I post this picture of a jet-lagged Nathan in Brussels' Grand Place. 

Various friends have given me advice on how to reduce jet lag. One friend consumes no caffeine on the trip. My friend Marc arrives, checks into his hotel, has lunch and walk around. Then in mid to late afternoon he takes a nap for a few hours. Then he gets up in time for dinner and a short walk before going to bed around 9-10pm. The next morning he awakes on the new European schedule. 

I find Marc's system works better than any other jet lag tricks I've tried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment